For many individuals, gambling is a fun, social activity. However, for others, uncontrollable behaviour surrounding gambling is present, leading to addiction.
For those living with a gambling addiction, long-term, significant negativity can be brought to their life. From common associated mental health issues and financial problems, to the breakdown of families and the influence of crime, damage can be experienced in many ways.
It’s also important to remember that compulsive gambling can affect anyone. No matter their background, goals, career path or mental health, impulsive behaviour can be triggered to consistently gamble.
If you’re struggling through a gambling addiction, or have the urge to gamble consistently, seeking support through the help of mental health professionals should be a priority. Here at Action Rehab, we work alongside specialised rehab centres, offering addiction treatment to support those with gambling problems.
The effects of a gambling addiction
As touched on above, a gambling addiction can affect individuals in many ways. As causations vary, negative impacts will also differ. However, common long-term damage concerns an individual’s mental health, financial situation and ability to lead a high-quality life.
Common signs and symptoms of a gambling addiction include the inability to stop gambling, betting large sums of money, and gambling without taking affordability into consideration. If you are living with any of these side effects, acknowledging that an addiction is present and taking action now should be your next step, before damaging effects arise.
The importance of seeking support
If you’re living with a gambling addiction, seeking the right support before the above damages are likely to present themselves will increase your recovery likelihood.
Without seeking support through addiction treatment, a chronic addiction, usually resulting in a dual diagnosis is likely. Many clients we’ve supported have waited some time to reach out, which has resulted in the development of connected mental health issues, and secondary dependences on drugs or alcohol. This will increase the amount of rehabilitation required. Therefore, seeking support before life-altering effects set in will improve your chances of recovering.
If you are already living with a chronic addiction, make it your priority to seek expert support now, before life-threatening psychological and social scenarios develop.
Addiction treatment designed for recovery
By reaching out to our team here at Action Rehab, an initial assessment will firstly be required. This will provide information on your addiction, its severity, your triggers and your long-term recovery goals. From here, one of our partnering rehab centres will be recommended to complete a full recovery programme.
We believe that this personalised approach is best to improve recovery probability rates. From here, a number of our industry leading inpatient addiction treatments will be recommended to slowly move you towards an addiction-free future. Common treatment options recommended for a gambling addiction include:
- Cognitive behavioural therapy: As a gambling addiction is a psychological illness, cognitive behavioural therapy is a highly successful treatment option to complete. Our mental health professionals will work with our clients to understand their current feelings towards gambling, along with their mindset while betting. From here, any misconceptions will be addressed, along with transforming negative feelings, into positive views. The aim is to change an individual’s opinion on the need to gamble for a better life.
- Psychotherapy: This can be completed through support groups or individual sessions, again working on the psychological connection to gambling. This treatment option will work hand in hand with CBT.
- Family therapy: It is highly likely that friends and family members have been affected while their loved one suffers through a gambling addiction. These sessions will educate family members on dependencies, along with providing them with the time to heal and move forward.
- Educational sessions: These sessions serve our clients well for the transition post rehab. This treatment option will improve their knowledge on addiction and the impacts, along with identifying any future gambling relapses. Healthy coping mechanisms will also be promoted to alter our client’s behavioural habits.
- Alternative treatments to support mental health/addiction issues: For many of our clients, connected mental health issues will be present. The likes of depression and anxiety are likely to be experienced by those with gamblingTreatment options will also cater to our client’s mental wellbeing and requirements. Additionally, secondary addictions are likely for those with compulsive gambling problems. Medical detoxes or medication may be required if a drug or alcohol dependency is present.
The length of addiction treatment
Depending on the severity of an individual’s gambling addiction, the length of treatment will vary. We follow a personalised approach to recovery here at Action Rehab, therefore, timeframes will change. Please be aware that progression will be observed throughout, ensuring you are on the right road to recover long-term.
We further understand how difficult rehabilitation can be. Therefore, our aim is for an efficient treatment programme. However, as a gambling addiction carries great psychological impacts, please be aware that no quick fixes are likely. We will support you through addiction treatment up until we believe you are ready to lead a positive, independent future, without gambling.
Our residential gambling addiction programmes
For greatest probability rates, our residential rehab programmes will be recommended here at Action Rehab. Whichever of our partnering rehab centres you visit, spending some time away from your current stresses, influences and routines will kick-start progression, along with improving your recovery rate.
We understand that residential rehab may seem daunting. However, our rehab centres are equipped with comforting facilities and a home from home feel to ensure you feel relaxed while you recover. We believe that the support you receive and the environment you are situated within can influence your recovery. Therefore, we ensure a high standard is experienced throughout your time with us, along with our evidence-based, leading addiction treatments.
If you are living with a gambling addiction, reach out for expert support before life-altering events arise. We can help you lead a positive future armed with life-changing tools. A gambling addiction can be diminished with the right support. Take the first step to a free future by contacting our team today.
Get FREE Confidential Advice Regarding Gambling Addiction Treatment
Speak to us for FREE and confidential advice regarding Gambling Addiction, whether it’s you or a family member/friend. Take the first step today.GET IN TOUCH TODAY